27 October 2012

Game issue

Apparently it's my turn again with the weird glitches... so Susan, this is probably mostly for you (being the technical wiz that you are!) but I'm open to suggestions from anyone and everyone!

I got a chance to play my game this afternoon after several weeks off and a weird thing is happening! No one can interact with their romantic partners!

My Sims can all interact with other family members and friends/acquaintances/etc normally with all the usual interaction options. But when it's a Sim that they have a romantic relationship with, nothing pops up!

For instance, I select Zeke and click on Gwyn and nothing happens. I click on, say, Sebastian and get the full range of normal options. Gwyn can't interact with Zeke either. Oddly, I can get them to interact by using object options... like they can woo-hoo if I click on the bed and select them that way. But not directly.

Ariel went on a date with Blu, but all they did was stare at each other because I couldn't get any interactions to pop up! It's making me crazy and really messing with my chances of fulfilling any romantic wishes!

Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve losing out on all of my relationships, wishes and happiness points? I'm afraid that I'll need to reload the family and lose everything.

Help!

8 comments:

  1. It doesn't really help to say that this never happened to me before, does it? :( Unfortunately I have no idea how you could solve that. Does resetting one of the two partners help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried resetting everyone involved! It's just so weird!

      Delete
  2. Sigh. First Amhranai and now you.

    I've never heard of this one either, and I can't imagine trying to play forward like that.

    As a general question, do you have Twallan's Saver installed? This keeps a rollling 4-save backup, so if you have some dreadful glitch, you can back up to a previous save and see if it's still there. I don't consider this to be breaking any challenge rules. If you have a glitch, IMHO all bets are off until the glitch is fixed.

    I'll see what I can find on this. It's not this is it? http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5541.0

    (It doesn't sound like it, but that was my first relevant-looking Google hit.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really strange glitch. I did a google search after posting my appeal for help here, but all I found were threads like that one... the sim can't interact with anyone. I haven't found anything that talks about sims being unable to interact with only certain sims!

      I might end up trying that eviction strategy, though. I really don't want to go all the way back to when I ported!

      If I do that, though, I'm turning off aging until I get the relationships re-established! That might be cheating a little, but I don't think so.

      I don't have the Saver installed, but I'm guessing I'll be adding that in the future!

      Delete
    2. Saver is not a very exciting mod, but I think it is a lifeline, and I've had to reload from a previous save several times.

      FWIW, I think that it's worth uninstalling and reinstalling the game after a certain number of incremental patches. All the patching seems to introduce weirdness that goes away with a fresh install. But as I was walking Amhranai through, reinstalls are pretty ghastly these days. You have to install the base game, then load the launcher and let it patch, then the same for WA, Ambitions, and Late NIght. You can't install all the expansions and then load the launch for one big patch-fest, or the stupid thing gets all confused. EA apparently figured this out around Generations and started putting all patches in the base game.

      Also, it's probably worth giving it a week and THEN doing another Google search. My epic drama disaster was that I experienced a bug, did a Google search, and assumed the problem was me. It turned out that the problem was all EA, but my first Google search was too soon for everyone to start posting on forums about it.

      Delete
    3. That sounds very complicated... maybe I can get Hubby to do the reinstall for me!

      I'll check the Googles again, too. It will probably be a few weeks before I get back to the game so the forums should have time to pop up in the meantime!

      Delete
  3. I had this problem a few weeks ago when I first installed one of the patches. I had removed all my mods prior to patching like I normally do, updated them and then reinstalled them, but I had what sounds like the same problem you had. I think I read somewhere that one of Twallans mods conflicted with the patch and he had to reupdate them. I did this and also removed my custom skins from the game. The game worked fine after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! There's hope! I wondered if the update patch did something but I really don't know enough about that stuff. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to try this... Thanks!

      Delete