09 October 2011

Gen 3 Chapter 1: Teenage Wasteland

So Mom says that I have to take over as heir or something. I don't really get why since she and Dad are still making all of the decisions for the household, but whatever. I'm Zeke Hodgins, misunderstood genius. We live near the beach in a newly remodeled house. Mom added some outdoor space to the upper floor and then put in a cottage for her and Dad to retire into when the time comes. Can't come soon enough, if you ask me.


And here's Mom playing for tips in an evening gown. Whatever.


My sister, Bonni, is a dork.


Don't tell anyone, though, but I actually kind of like her and Lorali.


I'm pretty sure that Lorali is the only one in the house who's as smart as I am.


My Dad plays guitar in the streets for tips, too. Could my parents be any more embarrassing? I mean, Mom's some kind of super spy and Dad's on his way to being a rock star. And they panhandle!


At least Bonni and I get to go to school. Lorali is stuck at home all day with them.


I really wish they wouldn't talk about me when I'm not home.


In a surprisingly cool turn of events, Mom allowed me to skip out on my first day of work at the cemetery to attend the prom. I didn't have a date or anything (I just don't get how to talk to girls) but I did get to ride in a limo! I was crowned prom king! And then I fell on my face on the dance floor. Figures.


While I was gone at the prom, Lorali had her birthday. I always knew that she was a genius like me, but I'm beginning to think that she's kind of ditzy too.


After the prom, I was so exhausted that I passed out on the sidewalk! Between that and the mishaps at the prom, I don't know why Mom insisted that I go.



I made it home before curfew, even after sleeping on the sidewalk, and went straight to bed. And then Dad woke me up to yell at me! For missing work, of all things! I tried to tell him that Mom said it was ok, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't listening. Whatever.


I suppose it's not Bonni's fault that she's a dork. It's obviously our parents' fault.


***************
A/N: I decided to post an extra chapter this week since I had it ready and wanted to start Zeke's story. Having never been a teenage boy, I'm not entirely sure how to "voice" Zeke. I think it will come easier when he decides on what path to take. I'm mostly giving him a disdainful "my family is so uncool" kind of vibe so far. That seems to be pretty universal for teen boys. His traits so far are: genius, party animal, easily impressed and unflirty.

Outtakes!

They always get so bored when I take their birthday pictures.


At first I couldn't figure out what had happened to Zeke's outfit. And then I realized that he wasn't alone!


I'm still not sure who was standing in him, but they stood there like this for the longest time just fidgeting around.



There's a joke here about musicians abusing pot, but I'm not going there!

9 comments:

  1. Zeke's 'voice' is spot on! That's the first thing I thought when I started reading. I actually prefer writing teenage boys over any other character, even though I'm a 20 year old girl. Girls tend to annoy me in books and when I write them!

    This chapter was very funny, loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so the new generation has already started! This was really fast, I wasn't quite ready to let Penelope go... ;)
    Although I have no idea what a teenage boy thinks, you did the job of writing from his point of view reaaally well, I think. The chapter was great. Hilarious.

    (Oh, and I love the kids' hair. Containing the blue and everything.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm kind of getting into writing "annoying teenage boy"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also - I just saw your comment over on Amhranai's blog that Viola is already married in your game! Awesome!

    You might also like to know that VJ is in my latest chapter and will also be in an upcoming chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I'd say spot on for zeke! It will be awesome to actually get to listen to him grow up!! I love this story being told in 1st person!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's weird seeing Zeke as a teenage boy after reading ahead (the whole Puzzle thing)! I love all your heirs voices though as each one are so fresh and different :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Zeke was a pretty fun heir.

      I can see how it would be jarring to read this one after the Puzzle chapter... Zeke's come a looooong way!

      Delete
  7. Haha, teenage 'think they are so cool' voice. Spot-on. Aww, gen 2 was short, but it'll be neat seeing Zeke grow up (and hopefully outgrow) and realise everysim is just doing the best they can. :)

    ReplyDelete