28 August 2011

Gen 2 Chapter 1: Penelope

Well, here it is. Mom's blog passed on to me. Mom's legacy passed on to me. You'll have to excuse me if I'm a little overwhelmed about it all!

Reading back over Mom's life has been fascinating. I had heard the stories before, of course, but reading it from Mom's point of view is something else entirely. I'm not sure I'll be able to live up to it... I'm not the writer that she was.

Was. I still can't believe she's gone! I'm an orphan!

Ok, maybe I'm being a little overly emotional and dramatic about things. Mom always said I had a tendency to do that. She also said I was too much of a perfectionist, but that it was balanced my my friendly nature so I guess it all works out in the end.

Anyway, I just couldn't stand to live in the house where my parents died so I took my share of the inheritance and bought myself a cute little place.



I didn't really want to move away from the water, the view has always soothed and inspired me, so I headed up the coast a bit. I can actually see our old house from my backyard, should I care to look the right way.



Life alone is soothing in itself, if a little lonely.


I miss my mom more than a little. I wonder if I did the right thing in making such a big change all at once?


I've been indulging my artistic side and taking advantage of the fantastic view from my gazebo. I even make a little money with it.


My partner, Letitia, commissioned a painting from me and I was more than happy to deliver it to her in person. It was so nice to see her outside of work, though I was surprised to see her out in the sun.


I've taken to playing chess in the park to improve my logic skills for work... this has the added benefit of getting me out of the house and meeting new people!


All of my hard work paid off, too, when I was promoted onto the Special Agent track at work! I can't believe I'm officially Special Agent Penelope Hodgins.


Just after my promotion, it was my birthday. I ended up spending it with Letitia and a few of her "night owl" friends.



For some reason, having a birthday gave me some kind of complex about age. I played it off by making some awkward joke about Letitia's sun allergy. I'm not usually so insensitive... maybe it's a midlife crisis?


At least I still look good! Mostly. Except for the wrinkles. And the tummy pooch. And the wrinkles. Wait, what was my point?


Anyway, Mom and Dad seem to be getting along better now that they're dead.


**************
A/N: Sorry everything is so dark, I didn't realize that I'd taken so many night pictures. Things are moving right along with Neli's career... when will she roll some social wishes? And this whole mid-life crisis thing is getting to me. It's so hard to keep her happy when she's frowning at her belly or poking fingers at her face!

5 comments:

  1. VJ and Neli together after death! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy to see them getting along as ghosts, given all of the drama they went through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Little place"?? That house looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see more of it.

    Hopefully things will get patched up with her siblings someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the house ... it's really pretty!

    Poor Neli having a midlife crisis! She knows enough vampires so why doesn't she roll the wish to become a vampire? That'll solve that problem ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, I loved Neli's house! It was so cute and also easy to get good pictures in.

      I always wondered why she didn't have any vampire wishes. It would have been pretty interesting to go that route...

      Delete